Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Week Between Events

Last week’s 300KM took a bit out of me. I didn’t ride again this week until Wednesday when I got back on track with 26 miles. I followed Thursday with my usual easy ride.

Friday is my normal off day. Without riding Sunday – Tuesday I wasn’t in need of a day off, but I wanted to get back on track with my training plan, so I stuck to my routine. I was really itching to get out and ride, though.

Saturday morning I awoke at 0600 for my weekly long ride. I was planning on about a 100 mile route. But I woke up with a massive headache. To put it in cycling terms, it was a Hors Category headache*. I went back to bed. I didn't wake up until after 10:00, and was feeling less than 100 percent. So I was a slug for most of the day. Around 3:00, I kitted up and went out for a short ride. I still wasn’t feeling so hot, but it was a glorious day out.

Hoping to feel better Sunday I went to bed early, and got a good 9 hours of sleep. It worked! I jumped out of bed at 0600, and was out turning the cranks before 0700. Yes!

It was a chamber of commerce day in San Diego, as seen here along the coast where Solana Beach meets Encinitas.




A good tune up ride for next Saturday’s first Double Century of the year, the El Camino Real Double Century.

Happy Valentines day to my wife, Angi. (@vansmart262) Love U wifey!


My upcoming event schedule:

2-20: El Camino Real Double Century
3-06: SD Randos 400KM Brevet
3-27: Solvang Double Century
4-17 SD Randos Solana 600KM Brevet.

* For the non-cyclists reading the Hors Category is the toughest of rated climbs in pro cycling. Climbs are rated at Category 4, 3, 2, 1, and Hors Category. It means Beyond Category. The 2009 Tour of California Stage 8, Palomar Mountain was rated at Hors Category.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were feeling better today. Happy Valentines to you too! Love ya hubby.

    ReplyDelete