Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Hay is in the Barn




I just completed the 18th week of my 20 week training plan leading to the Austin Half-Ironman.

As they say, the hay is now in the barn. For the next two weeks, it will be about keeping the hay fresh, so I can consume every last strand on October 23rd.

Some observations: After five years of cycling, I was riding a lot. But I was not really training. Not properly at least. I’ve seen more gains in fitness and speed in 18 weeks than I ever thought I could. Regardless of the outcome at Austin, the training has been a success.

Intervals work, and really if your not doing intervals, your not training.

Rest works. Not too much, or your just resting. But planned rest lets the muscles recover, and gains happen.

Racing is fun.

Push yourself. Go fast, climb a really hard hill, push to the point of cracking. You will improve.

The hay is in the barn. And if I do say so myself, it is a pretty big barn!

No comments:

Post a Comment