Friday, July 6, 2012

IRONMAN...I'm Committed Now!


Ironman. 140.6,  Long course triathlon.  Call it what you want, but after deliberation, and my journey into triathlon I have taken the plunge and signed up for my first 140.6 Ironman.  On June 23, 2013 I will toe the start line in Coeur D’Alene, Idaho.  I will do a two-loop swim totaling 2.4 miles in a cool (cold) lake.  I will complete a 2 lap 112 mile bike course with some hills, and finish the day by running a full marathon.  When I hit the button to confirm my entry I thought I was going to vomit. 

I had been eyeing and was pretty sure my first would be Ironman Texas.  However, they delayed registration for that event, and when Coeur D’Alene opened up, I considered that I have been to, and raced in Texas, but I’ve never been to Idaho.  The area is supposed to be very scenic, the event is well received by locals with lots of support.  So I made the decision partly because of all that, party because I didn’t want CDA to sell out, and Texas to get cancelled.  As it turns out, Texas registration is opening up Tuesday.  This gives me an extra month of prep time. 

At this point I am not setting any time goals.  It is too early in the process, and you cannot control factors like weather on race day.  All I know is I am going to do my best to train right, get in the best shape I can, and race my heart out on race day. 

It is almost a year away, but I already have my motel booked, and my training plan laid out.  Anal or prepared?   

I am committed now;  or should I be committed?
That is all for now.  I think I might need to vomit again.

Next up: Chula Vista Challenge August 12th
Then, Superfrog (half iron distance) September 30th.








3 comments:

  1. You need to be committed....but I think you'll find you have lots of cell-mates, me included. You're going to do great, and I can't wait to follow your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll need to change the name of the blog - swimming/cycling/running 140.6 - You'll have many times to prepare but only one time to race. Go prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Mark. Other in name of blog and prepare.

    ReplyDelete